Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What I consider loss



A few weeks ago we concluded a Bible study on the life of Paul. I was inspired by the words Paul wrote in Philippians chapter 3.
vs. 3-4 says “….we who serve God by His Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh-though I myself have reason for such confidence.”
Then Paul goes on to list his credentials within the Hebrew faith. He list what he could boast about by human standards and yet ends his impressive resume with vs. 7 “But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.”
He even is so bold as to say “I consider them garbage that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.”

I began to think about the things that I could boast in, my “Army credentials” and I wrote the following:

I was dedicated to God under the Army flag before the age of 6 months.
I was a Jr. Soldier by the age of 7.
I was an Honor Jr. Soldier, Commissioner sunbeam, a graduate Corps Cadet and enrolled as a Sr. Soldier by my 15th birthday.
I attended every Youth Councils and worked every summer at an Army Camp.
I was a corps helper for a year and went on Summer Service Corps the summer before I entered the training school.
I was commissioned as an officer at the age of 22.
I am a fourth generation Salvationist on my mother’s side, a fifth generation Salvationist on my father’s side.
I am a 3rd generation Officer.
I know what it means to be “Army,” both the good and the bad.
But, as Paul…
"Whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake for Christ. What is more, I consider everything loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage that I may gain Christ and be found in him, Not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law ( or good programming :)-Carole's addition ) but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.”

3 comments:

Jim said...

Absolutely. Those things aren't bad in and of themselves, but compared to Christ . . . there is no comparison. I wish folks got as fired up about defending Him as they do defending these things. Thanks for the perspective.

BrownEyedGirl said...

I agree. That's why I really liked Commissioner Philip Needhams charge to Commissoner Gaither. "..battles worth fighting" I blogged it the other day. We get so fired up about things and although they may be valid they sometimes take us away from the main thing- Jesus. Paul was good about keeping the main thing the main thing.

BrownEyedGirl said...

Susan...that is from our good ole days! You had the same socks and beanie....not to mention the long legs! You were in my troop if I remember right. Do Right!