Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Pride and Prejudice


I went to see Pride and Prejudice this past weekend. I love Jane Austin books. The movie was what some would call a "chick flick". But there is so much in the movie worth thinking about.
The part that I keep going back to in my mind is the scene when Mr. Darcy finally allows himself to be transparent. He lays it all out there and tells Miss. Elizabeth how he really feels about her. His feelings for her go against all that is "right" and acceptable in his world/society at the time..but he says: "You've bewitched me!"
I am not sure what moves me most! His blatant honesty, his vulnerability or the passion in him that is finally awaked and expressed.
Words spoken and written are so powerful.
That particular moment between Mr. Darcy and Miss. Elizabeth (in the book and in the movie) stirs within me the same feelings that I get when looking at a certain artist work or a painting that moves me from within. The same feelings that I get when I see bright autumn leaves against a crisp cool fall sky or when I look in someone's eyes- the window of their soul and connect. The same feelings the right song brings to the soul or the right words to a situation.
I have thought about making the spiritual application to all of this (with the possibility of increasing the value of my blog!) but I would rather leave it for what it is.

Poetry, art, beauty are not very practical but they stir my soul.

Thomas Merton "The cross does not sanctify us by destroying human feeling."

3 comments:

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

i think poetry, art, and beauty are some of the most practical things in the world- especially in a war. seriously- you said it yourself- they stir your soul. what could be more practical?

Jim said...

Without warning, I am taken to the same movie and yet . . . well . . .

Kelly said...

loved the movie! usually not a fan of chick flicks, but the acting alone is worth the price of the ticket.