Monday, November 28, 2005

Absorb The Light



Philippians 2:14-15
" Do everything without complaining or arguing,  so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe"
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 . Zondervan: Grand Rapids

Glow stars are a lot of fun! Sticking them to walls or ceilings and then running to turn the lights out to watch them glow. I love when my kids get excited over the little things.

Philippians 2:15 says we are to "shine like stars in the universe"
Verse 14 tells us how we can shine in the darkness, it tells us how we can be different than those around us. It says," do everything without complaining or arguing." One short verse......one great task. I wonder to myself, is it possible? Possible to do everything without complaining or arguing?
Some days are harder than others, some situations seem to require it and some people seem to inspire it! But, we all know if we were to live vs. 14 in the world around us (even in our homes), it would make us different.....we would stand out...we would shine in the darkness.
I think the glow stars have the answer.
On their own they are nothing. But when held near a true source of light they absorb that light. The longer they are away from a true source of light the dimmer the glow.
I have found that I am also "dimmer" ( spiritually speaking!) when I have not had my time in THE LIGHT. ( John 1:1-9, 8:12)
Spending time with God in prayer and in His word, in His presence....makes me shine. On my own I am nothing.
In the devotional book STREAMS IN THE DESERT by Cowman I read the following about those in scripture who stood their ground for God in difficult situations; " They were able to endure in the presence of their enemies because they dwelt in the presence of their God." In the same devotional book I also read, " the darker the night, the brighter the stars."

No, I am not going to start singing "shine, Jesus shine" !!! But, you can if you want to!

Absorb The Light this Christmas season, be a star that leads someone to the Christ child!
( Matt. 2:1-2)

1 comment:

Allison Ward said...

I have glow stars alll over my ceiling..you know what's wierd though..I didn't put them up! My room is what used to be Dougs room and him and Vic put them all over my ceiling! Haa..I really like your entry though...Wow to do everything without complainging or arguing ahh that is one HARD task!