Saturday, October 21, 2006

Living up to your name

My friend Mhairi looked up the meaning of names recently for a devotional. You know….God calls us, knows us by our names and He will give us a new name.
She found a lot of the names meanings on this site.
In our Bible study in Daniel we have studied about how the king changed the names of the young Hebrew men to represent his gods. Later, in the story we see how they all live up to their God given names.
So I went and looked up my name which I have always heard means “song” or “hymn” and that is what it says at first…
But then it also says my name was originally a masculine name (oh, well!) but I followed the link anyway to find....
That my name was derived from Carolus …so I looked that up.
Carolus is a Latin form of Charles…so I followed that link.
This is what I found:

CHARLES
Gender: Masculine
Usage: English, French
Pronounced: CHAHR-ulz (English), SHARL (French) [key]
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior".


I always thought it kind of ironic that my name would mean “hymn” or “song” since I could never really sing or even read music.
But, I really like the alternative theory of my name’s original meaning!
“Army, Warrior” now that actually means something to me. It’s a name I would like to live up to!
What does your name mean?
Are you living up to it?

6 comments:

Chris said...

Interestingly, I posted a very similar blog last week:

My name is Christopher Andrew Footer:

Christopher - Christ-like, bearer of Christ
Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

Andrew - Warrior
In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, and Greece.

Footer - Foot soldier
A soldier who fights primarily on foot with small arms in organized military units.

How about that… By definition I’m a Christ-like warrior foot soldier! My prayer is that I live up to that name. If I don’t live that life, then it is nothing more than a label.

Allison Ward said...

haha I'm a noble guard...pretty cool!

CharScheibs said...

Hey, I'm a fellow warrior, middle name "gift of God", last name, "scribe" or writer.

WalksInTheWoods said...

You won't get any grief from me with linking to the name Charles .......
"Charles the Great" from French history doesn't fit with Jesus call to "serve" as a warrior of Christ.

I'm sticking with the Germans on this one ......

Unknown said...

Lenna or Yelena (Russian) Possibly from either Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" (I always knew it meant "light")or "corposant", or Greek σεληνη (selene) "moon"("moon" I don't mind either, it shines in the darkness, I'd love to live up to that!). In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War(well, that is not surprising HA-HA...).
But here is the cool part, my "otchestvo" a.k.a. middle name in Russian is Vasilyevna, which means "kingdom" in Greek.
So, I guess I'm "Light of the Kingdom". My old last name was Smyrnova (Smyrna was one of the churches Jesus addressed to), which means aroma,pleasing smell. Now my new last name is Rivera- RIVER, flowing water. So it makes me "Light of the Kindom of the Living Water".....
my,my,my..that is a lot to live up to!!!

BrownEyedGirl said...

Light of the Kingdom of living water! Wow that is awesome. But it should be: Light of the Kingdom of sweet smelling, living water.
:) Love ya!

Thanks everyone for sharing. Those of you I know, I can see how your names fit each of you!