Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Beauty is fleeting

In our Bible study we have been looking at the book of Daniel. In the study Beth Moore suggest that we should think of Babylon not as a place but as a mindset. The best of the best were taken into captivity to Babylon and in the 1 Chapter they define the “best” in verses 3- 4,
“Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring in some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility- 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king's palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians.”
So today, similar to a Babylonian world mindset, those who are exalted over others, those the world seems to choose are:

Those of good social status and wealth
The young (stay young forever- or at least try and look young forever!)
The Physically fit
The intelligent
The well informed
Those who are quick to “catch on”


I woke up this morning and looked at the silly, harmless “My celebrity profile” that I uploaded last night. Don’t get me wrong…it was fun and amusing. But as I thought about it in comparison to my Bible Study, I was challenged. If I look at it in light of what I have been studying in the Word of God, like my friend Crafty Lady (who is also in the same Bible study) I find myself looking at things differently.
I, in no way want anyone to feel guilt ridden over trying out the celebrity look a-like profile. That is not really what this is about. But it did challenge me this morning to ask myself…What is this all about? Other than a mindless, waste of time that amused me and caught my attention for awhile, what is it about? Why did it amuse me? Why did it catch my attention?

What do you think?? Am I taking this too far?
I’m hearing Proverbs 31:30 in my inner ear as I type this.
“Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.”

I must confess, I not only did my own celebrity profile but also my husbands, all four of my children, and Bernie and Marty cause they happened to be in a photo with me! The results were interesting to say the least, one of them came up looking like Ozzy Osborn and I won't tell you which one. :)

No comments: