Tuesday, July 18, 2006

White Nights



Not the 1985 movie! But the real White Nights in St. Petersburg, Russia.
I was on the phone with a friend yesterday from St. Pete and was reminded that now is the time to stay awake and celebrate their beautiful city though the night.

This link on White Nights will tell you more.
I will leave you with some pictures and a poem about my last time in St. Petersburg during the White Nights.

White nights.
Palaces light up
People stroll.
Young love laughs
And lingers by the riverside
As bridges rise.

The eternal flame
Burns and dances
While two friends
Sing a melancholy song,
Farewell.
Time stands still.
And harmony hangs
In the early morning mist.

A language sung
Not my own,
But my heart
Knows the tempo
It carries the
Beat of my soul.

White nights
Light up the city.
Memories are forever
Etched into my mind.
They linger like the song
And burn in my heart
Like the eternal flame.

-cjb


3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow..Russia has been a theme of the week on our blogs... Go Russia LOL....

Caryn said...

Okay..so...I want to go to Russia now. You should right for a travel magazine, have you ever thought of a side career as a travel agent?

WalksInTheWoods said...

Thank You Carole, for soft-edged pictures painted in warm words, with the brush of memory and longing.....

Caryn's right,on the travel agent label...... who wouldn't want to feel the cool breeze rising from
the river, as they watch the romantic scenes you have painted unfold in the half-light of the nights......

Someday, I'll make the trip,stand in Palace Square, with one hand on the Alexander Column and my eyes trying to take in the Hermitage..... blessings