Thursday, July 13, 2006

Life's experience

Say what you mean
Mean what you say
You speak
Smiling
With a forked tongue.
If it had been an enemy
Speaking such harsh words
I would have hurt
But not like this.
Your words
Are betrayal
Of a friendship
And a respect
Once mutual.

Who are you?
Our God will judge.
Who am I you say?
My Lord will answer.
For although I only hear
The whispers of your slander.
My God hears all.

He sees through
The smiles
The pleasantries
The “Just kidding” demeanor
And he looks
At the heart.
I’ve been
caught off guard.
But not again.
My forgiveness?
Yes,
It’s yours.
But,
You will never
Be a friend.

-cjb

This poem started out as a reaction to something not really that big but then I saw where it was going, I drew from old wounds that the Lord has healed. That's why I called it "life's experience" because....it isn't really about one particular moment but a mix of moments that sir up these feelings.
I put it up because, I think a lot of people have experienced this to some degree.
Can anyone relate??

3 comments:

WalksInTheWoods said...

YOur poem made me look, on a whim or spirit lead thought, at some of your old posts ... 1st one I found......October 26th 2005 was a relevant post ..... life, reputation and caring friends are much more a marathon than a dash ......and you are ahead of most of the field...

check your email .....

CharScheibs said...

Wow . . .we are so different. I am definitely an introvert with paranoia. Your friend!!!

Caryn said...

I can so relate to this one! I would rather someone confront me on my issues rather than secretly despise me for something I've said or done meanwhile being friendly to my face. We had this whole long discussion in Sunday School years ago with Edgar and I'll never forget it. It was about forgiveness. People always say "It's okay" when someone apologizes to them. But most of the time it's not okay, it's more than not okay. You can accept their apology and forgive but that doesn't mean you have to get sucker-punched again. Then again, "love keeps no record of wrongs" Everytime I want to write someone off completely and keep my fists up, I think what if God did that to me everytime I knowingly disobeyed him. It's a fine line and I don't know where the boundries are yet. I will say there is nothing worse than a fake friend. It felt like this poem could have been lifted from my brain.