Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The myrtle will grow!

I am in Atlanta visiting my parents while three of my girls are at music camp and the little one is spending quality time with her father.
My mother has become quite the gardener just like her mom. She has dug deep into the red soil of Georgia and has planted many beautiful plants, trees and flowers. Weeds don’t stand a chance around her!
When I arrived she told me about her latest “find” of myrtle trees. She bought two of them and on the ride home from the airport she shared with me her concern on whether they would take to the soil and grow.
In the morning I “happened” to read these verses in my devotional time:

Isaiah 55:12-13

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the LORD's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed."
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


At breakfast the conversation about the myrtle’s health and general well being, came up. I mentioned my verse…and laughed saying “ you wouldn’t have any juniper growing here too would you?!” and she replied “ yes, I planted it in the back.” So I ran and got my Bible and we read these verses together. God is good. He makes me smile.
So, my parent’s new retirement home has juniper in their backyard and myrtle in the front!
And, by the way…..we are taking it as a word from the Lord that the myrtle WILL grow! No thornbushes and no briers here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Is He great or GRRREAT GOD???
He is so awesome! Just think that Isaiah wrote Scripture for Israel and God also had your mom and you in mind when Isaiah wrote it. What an awesome awesome awesome God!

WalksInTheWoods said...

"From Age to Age the same"




Isn't it just like God to drop everyday miracles into the pathway of our lives ....And I'm sure as you have sung His praise .....His Heart responds ...."How nice of you to notice"





enjoy some time with those great parents of yours..... .....

you were missed at the writers group , but Alastair and Emma were welcome additions ....

Kelly said...

your parents live in Atlanta?!

you should totally stop by THQ and have lunch with your fellow Atlantan bloggers!

Kelly said...

we'll have to get together in august then! have a safe flight!