Saturday, June 03, 2006

mezhdu prochim ya obidelas! ;)

Some life experiences can wound so deeply. We grieve. Our loss may be: a person, a relationship, an appointment, even the death of a dream. These experiences can cause us to be bitter like Naomi. Naomi wasn’t bitter without reason. Her husband and her two sons had died in a foreign land. Naomi was so grief stricken she told people to call her Mara, which means bitter. At this point in her grief, she could not imagine or recognize how God had already planned for her healing, restoration and future blessing. Ruth had already pledged herself to Naomi before she arrived home and changed her name. With such a moving vow, one would think that Naomi would have felt comfort from her words. Yet, to Naomi, Ruth may have seemed more like an extra burden -- another mouth to feed. However, in the end it is through Ruth that Naomi’s healing, restoration and blessing comes.
I have a Ruth in my life. In the year 2000, I went to the Tblisi, Georgia airport to pick up a 19 year old Salvationist from Volgograd, Russia. She had felt God calling her into ministry and for a time she was called specifically to the people in Georgia.
When she arrived, I didn’t really know much about her and we had only been in the country a short time ourselves. She would be coming back to our apartment to live with us until we could find her a place. She would be responsible for the youth ministry in the region. Honestly, I was a bit overwhelmed with this new appointment and three children all under the age of 7. She was “another mouth to feed”. I was in transition, in-between appointments and in-between cultures. The Georgia culture was nothing like the Russia culture I had been serving in for 6 years. It was a time of adjustment.
How quickly everything changed! Lenna became such a part of our family. 3 months past and we never even looked for an apartment for her. When I asked if it bothered her she said she didn’t want to leave us, she wanted to stay with us. I was thrilled because she brought me such comfort. Lenna is the type of person that anticipates what is needed and then gets to work to do all she can do to help. She always goes above and beyond the call of duty. Lenna can laugh and make me laugh until my sides hurt. I like that part of our friendship. Sometimes she finishes my thoughts as well as my sentences.( in two languages!) Once when she was translating for me she went on to my next point in the study. I whispered to her that I hadn’t said that yet or did I??…she winked and said “ I know, but you were going to!” and she was right. Lenna is also a prayer warrior. She approaches the throne of grace with confidence and consistency. She translates, teaches the Bible, preaches and has the heart of a pastor. When we returned to the States, Lenna was already engaged to Zach. He’s American and they are happily married now living in Nebraska.
So, in a way, Lenna returned to my country with me. “My people are her people.” (As if one can find any similarity between Nebraska and New Jersey! But you get the idea.)

Lenna is my Ruth, God has blessed me through my relationship with Lenna. She has been part of how God has in many ways brought healing, restoration and blessing to me. God provided. God is the one who heals and restores, she was the one who was obedient in administering his grace and love at that time. Through friendship, prayer and a listening ear.

How much of a part of our life is Lenna now? Well, when someone asked one of my daughter’s about their family background….one of them said “We are English, German, Scottish, and Russian.” I chuckled and corrected her saying, “We aren’t Russian! We just lived there for awhile.” The answer came back quickly, “Yes! Mom, we are! LENNA….she’s Russian and she’s our family.” (Adding a tone of “Moms know nothing” helps the last quote to ring true)

Lenna now has a blog site….You will be richer for reading it!
Check her out and give her some comments!
I love you Lennichka!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AWWWWWW
mezhdu prochim ya plakala, kogda chitala tvoi blog :'( you are so sweet!
I love you so much. I don't know if I ever told you that, but I always tell people about you this ," Carole is not only my best friend,God used her in a mighty way to make me who I am today. Before I knew Carole , I knew nothing about God of Mercy"....thanks for introducing us :) I am a recipient of fresh mercies every morning now! I never knew it was on a menue before :)
I love you so so so so much!!!!!

Unknown said...

by the way...I changed my blog....I couldn't figure out how the other worked really. I got the same one you have, so if I have questions, i can at least ask you

http://evrivera.blogspot.com/

so change you information on your blog :)
you're the best, Carole!

BrownEyedGirl said...

It's changed! Ne plachet- On vernussha! LOL! Love you too!