Thursday, February 09, 2006

Going Deeper

My weakness overwhelms me at times….the fear of not living up to expectations…. Not being good enough….Jesus reminds us that only God is good. We will always stumble, we will always fail….we are always sinners who fall short of the glory of God…
George MacDonald says in his book of unspoken sermons “ Many, alas! Have looked upon his face, yet never seen him, and have turned back; some have kept company with him for years, and denied him; but their weakness is not the measure of the patience or the resources of God.” pg. 182 ( The Way)

With scuba diving you have to practice "failing" in the water before they would let you go deeper. You have to allow water to get into your mask, you have to learn to loose your air piece. Then learn how to clear your mask and retrieve your air piece. They made us practice in the shallow water so that we still had our feet on the ground. I wanted to scuba dive so badly but I didn’t do so well at the “how to recover from possible problems” lesson. Finally after several tries I looked at the instructor and said “ I really want to do this!” He agreed to let me go deeper but I would have to hold his hand. I took his hand and we went deeper and deeper into the water. There was a whole world down there with bright colored coral, eels and painted fish. Before I knew it I was swimming and breathing on my own. I felt like I was flying and I never would have seen any of it if the instructor hadn’t taken my hand and led me deeper.
My fear of failure almost kept me from experiencing a whole other world….what keeps us from Going deeper with God…
“Our weaknesses are not the measure of the patience or the resources of God.”.
Deeper Lyrics and Words by Delirious

I want to go deeper
But I don’t know how to swim
I want to be meeker
But have you seen this old earth?
I want to fly higher
But these arms won’t take me there
I want to be, I want to be
Maybe I could run
Maybe I could fly, to you
Do you feel the same
When all you see is Blame in me?
And the wonder of it all is that I’m living just to fall
More in love with you [x2]
I want to go deeper
But is it just a stupid whim?
I want to be weaker
Be a help to the strong
I want to run faster
But this old leg won’t carry me
I want to be, I want to be
Maybe I could run
Maybe I could fly, to you
Do you feel the same
When all you see is Blame in me?
And the wonder of it all is that I’m living just to fall
More in love with you [x2]
Maybe I could run
Maybe I could follow
It’s time to walk the path
Where many seem to fall
Hold me in your arms
Just like any father would
How long do we have to wait?
How long, we’re going all the way
And the wonder of it all is that I’m living just to fall
More in love with you

3 comments:

Mhairi said...

Something happens to only you!

I am convinced that God prevented you from falling into the water - cause He knew if He made you take someone's hand, you'd tell people about the story!!! He also knew how symbolic you are - hahaha, it's awesome!!!

P.S. you going to Meghan's class tonight?

Christopher Hinzman said...

Hey. I always think that! If something doesn't work out, God must have not wanted it to, at that certain time atleast.

I would love to scuba dive someday! That would be so cool! Another thing I love to do is just sit back and just enjoy God's creation. Its amazing! I can't imagine what it is like underwater!!

Christopher Hinzman said...

Hey, thanks for your comment.
Really, thanks!

Chris