Monday, March 05, 2007

When things are left undone

Yesterday, I went to visit a retired officer at her new assisted living apartment. I saw the sign in the lobby that read: Sunday Service 3:30 Baptist minister.
Since it was 3:00 on my arrival I thought I would walk her down and we could attend the service together. She greeted me warmly, seemed pleased for the company and the idea of going to the service together. So at 3:20 we walked down to the Grande room. It was beautiful! The building is only two years old. We found our seats near the piano and waited. We waited until 3:50 when the director came into the room to announce she had called the Baptist minister and he was unaware of the scheduling.
She came over to me and said, “It is too bad your husband wasn’t here, maybe he could have done the service for us.”
Wanting to be helpful I replied, “I’ve done this before maybe I can help?”
Next thing I know I am leading a worship service for around 40 people. We sang hymns, prayed and someone found a Bible for me from the library. I read and even shared a devotional thought.
When we were done Mrs. Churchill and I had a good giggle that I came to visit and ended up as the guest speaker. Everyone greeted us both in the hallway as I later walked her to the dinning room. In the dinning room one man took my hand and said a kind thank you. I asked him if he was a retired minister. Something about him, his face, and his eyes told me he knew the Lord well.
His reply, “No, but I read through the Bible 4 times every year. I wish my memory was better so I could recite the verses that I love. My only fear is that I will get to heaven and Christ will say I did not do enough.”
I said to him, “it is quite possible Jesus will say, well done, my good and faithful servant.” He just laughed as if that was a nice thought from a young girl.
I drove home thinking of his words….
“That Christ would say I did not do enough.”
I wondered is it possible to ever do enough for one who has given us everything.
I pray that gentleman receives the grace of our Lord and hears the words well done! I plan on doing all I can and yet still needing the same grace for all that’s left undone.
Keep us faithful Lord but when we fail, may we fall into your grace.

6 comments:

Allison Ward said...

Nice post. You are simply amazing! :)
I miss you and love you.

Mhairi said...

That's not even the most random thing you've done!!!

Methodist trees, glow sticks, trumpets and that's only the stuff I know! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Glad a women could bring the word of God!

I wish I could say I'd read the word 4 times - that's like 30-40 chapters a day!
CRAZY AWESOME

Evie said...

You showed a lot of grace in the way you offered to help! And in your words to that man. Sounds like the Lord needed you there that day.

BrownEyedGirl said...

Methodist trees, glow sticks, trumpets and that's only the stuff I know! LOL!! You are too funny Mhairi and you know more then that!!! :)

Caryn said...

Hahah. Sooo glad you couldn't talk me into that one. I would've ended up singing a solo or something. Looks like I'm not the only one who is Situationally Funny.

Unknown said...

I LOVED Mrs. Churchill!!! She was so cute with her very sharp uniform, hat and white gloves! She is an amazing lady. I bet it meant for her a lot to see you there :)
you ar awesome, Carolichka1