Sunday, March 18, 2007

Luke 19:1-9

In my study for my sermon on Zacchaeus, I looked up his name in Hebrew and found out that it means: PURE. I never knew this before and I was so excited to learn something new about such a familiar passage.
I kept thinking of how Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus so badly that he climbed into a tree just to see Jesus pass by.
Jesus not only noticed Zacchaeus but called him by name and went into his home to fellowship with him. Everyone in Jericho knew Zacchaeus and called him a sinner….Jesus knew Zacchaeus and called him PURE! For it was the name his parents gave him as a child. Zacchaeus come down for I’m going to your house today!
Matt. 5:8 says “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.”
Zacchaeus desired to see God and he did, but much more was given to him.
He climbed that tree to get a glimpse of Jesus and God called him by name, came into his home and broke bread with him.
On that day, when Jesus called him PURE he was made pure. His response was to give back all he had taken. Jesus said “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what is lost.”
Salvation, acceptance into the family of God….a life found that was once lost!
Zacchaeus received more than he could ever imagine.
Now he could now live up to his name.

One of the songs we sang in the meeting today from the songbook was song #506
by John Copley Winslow (1882-1974)

This verse really stood out to me:

2.Lord of all power, I give you my will,
In joyful obedience your tasks to fulfill.
Your bondage is freedom, your service is song,
And, held in your keeping, my weakness is strong.

I’ve highlighted the part that caught my attention the most.
I love the poetry and the truth of: “Your bondage is freedom.”

No comments: