Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Heather's poem

My oldest daughter Heather wrote a poem in her creative writing class.
She gave me permission to put it up on my site.
I think it is wonderful....but hey I'm her Mom! :)

The Yellow Rose

I am a yellow rose in a red poppy field
for I do not feel I fit in.
I can not talk to other people
unless they have accepted me as one of their own.

I am a little caterpillar compared to a beautiful butterfly.
I will bloom someday but when that day comes will I be accepted?

You cannot change me though because I am happy with who I am.
So do you see me as a friend or do you see me as that
yellow rose in that red poppy field.

by Heather Bate
2/2007- age 14






I guess the Bate women are thinking about poppy fields recently!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow!
have you guys seen "The happy feet"?...talking about feeling not accepted. It's just the matter of perspective (sp?). I personally think yellow rose is WAAAY prettier than a red puppy. Yellow rose last longer.It is more gracefull and gentle and every one desire's it's beauty. She just need to go to another field :) Red puppy field is stuck up and in reality jealous :)
Can you see aunt Lenna getting too protective? :0

Jenn V. said...

love this poem... smart girl.

WalksInTheWoods said...

How cool is that Heather .... how much courage it takes to feel different,know it,and be OK with it ???? Wow !! and then to have it flowing on paper like it does in the stream of thought ...... get her some more books of poetry ....