Friday, August 11, 2006

The lesson of the Samovar


Have you ever given something to God and then forgot about it?
I once asked my husband for a Samovar ( see picture!) and for whatever reason at the time he didn’t think it was possible. So in my heart, like a little girl irritated for not getting her own way, I went to my Heavenly Father with my request. I know a Samovar is not a huge request for the King of Kings but at the time it seemed to be a big deal to me. So, I asked God and every time the desire for this Samovar came into my heart or mind I would give it to him. Eventually, I forgot about it and was content with the answer from God of “no”. I figure he either took Alastair’s side or he thought me shallow for asking. At any rate, he decided I didn’t need it and I let the request go into the air and out of my heart and mind.
Three years later we were no longer living in Russia. It was our anniversary and Alastair brought in this fairly large box and placed it before me. At the time, I honestly had no idea what could have been inside. I am sure you have guessed ……..there it was…..my Samovar.
Not only was it a great gift but the timing of when it was given was a reminder to me of how God really does work all things out in His time. He hears every prayer and the whispers of my heart. My shallow request are just as important to him as the ones I deem as having some depth.
This all happened many years ago yet I am reminded of it now because God did it again!
No, not another Samovar but another answer to prayer, a secret desire of my heart.
Alastair and I have been invited to St. Petersburg, Russia for a Congress, celebrating 15 years of the Army in St. Petersburg. When I heard about this congress and how everyone would be gathered together, my heart went once again to my Heavenly Father. If this was going to happen it would have to come from HIM! I asked God back in May even though I had been thinking about it and desiring it since Feburary. I carriedthe request in my heart until the middle of July. In July I figured time had passed and for whatever reason God must have decided against it. Once again, I let my request go into the air and forgot all about it. I was disappointed but had a peace in my heart. On the first Sunday of Old Orchard Beach camp meetings after the alter call was finished, Commissioner Moretz approached Alastair and me. He told us that the Eastern Europe Command has invited us to the Congress and he was pleased to let us go for the occasion. I was taken by surprise to say the least! The Congress is this Labor Day weekend. When I heard the words I was overwhelmed once again with the perfect timing of God. I think I scared the Commissioner since I was instantly overwhelmed with tears. Alastair reassured him that these were happy tears and although he was not crying he was excited about the invitation too. :)
God’s grace and expression of love to me is in the simple fact that he really does know the whispers of my heart and this is the greater gift everytime.
I can trust him with my request. I can trust His answer…whether it is no, yes or wait……..for HIS timing is perfect!
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."
James 1:17
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desire of your heart" (Ps.37)...
thanks for the testimony. i am reminded once again about His faithfulness.
I know exactly how you felt though. When I was 15 I asked God to give me a sign for the husband that only HE would give and the sign was that he would propose to me at the camp infront of everybody. I was just 15 and forgot about it since it didn't happen next year or two (I faithfully went to each youth camp there was LOL):)
I still remember when Zach proposed to me (7 years later)at the camp infront of everyone, as he was walking to me with the ring I heard God speaking so loud telling me ," see, I remember things you forgot about..here is my answer, receive it with love"....I was so overwhelmed by God's love ....and by the diamond ring too :) LOL....in all seriousness...God's tender love is amazing....I am happy for you that you're going to your old home once again. Give me love to Russia :)
love,
Lenna

Kapten Clark said...

Wow, Carole! We have the month of Sept. as furlough and we have just been wondering about going to Russia! I have no idea if we can get a visa so fast, but wouldn't it be cool if we were there at the same time?

Win One Woman said...

God is so good to us and thanks for the reminder. He knows the desires of our heart.

Katie said...

If you want a place to visit after the congress, fly into the Venice airport!!!! Hope you have a great time!!! Love & Miss you!!! Give my love to the family!!

Kapten Clark said...

Reminds me of when Peter was born two and a half years ago.

I was born premature, and always wanted an 8-pound baby! Chris was 6-10, Elizabeth was 7-11, so I figured I was working my way up to it! ;-)

When the nurse weighed Peter, she said he was EIGHT POUNDS EXACTLY! I started crying because I could hear God whispering, saying this is a reminder that I love you and I have orchestrated this all today.