Sunday, August 27, 2006

Mother May I?

Mother may I?
A game we played
In the courtyard.

The back of a
Stain glassed Jesus
Looked on…

Mother may I,
Take three small steps?
Yes, you may.

And
Three small steps
I took.

Mother may I?
Leap like a frog?
No.

You must stand still!
Unfair!
I whined.

As
My brother
Passed me by.

All the while
The stain glassed Jesus
Looked on.

Now in life it's
much the same
Or should be.

Lord,
May I go forward?
Yes! He says.

And I
Move toward
Him.

Lord,
Is this your will?
No, My child,

And
I stand
Still.

Another
Passes me
By.

Yet, He
No longer
Looks at me
from a
A stain glassed
Perch.

The courtyard
Is
My heart.

And
He is flesh
And blood.

Lord,
May I?
Yes! You may

And
I draw
Near.

A little closer
A baby step
A giant leap.

It’s not who
Gets there first
That counts.

But, that
We may
Approach.

And
Closer
Still.

Each
Step
We take,

We
Draw
Near.

May I?
Yes! My child,
You may.

- cjb

1 comment:

WalksInTheWoods said...

Thanks for the blessing of your thoughts .....

They renew again in my heart the instructions for life:

"whoever does not have faith as a little child..."

your words brighten up the day !