Monday, November 13, 2006

Swinging



I have a confession....I like to swing. Before anyone gets the wrong idea let me explain!
Swings are my favorite thing at the playground. As a kid, I would try and swing high enough to go over the bar. I did always have a little fear in the back of my mind that I would fly over the bar. But, those who competed against me would be sure to win if they were gutsy enough to push just that little bit more.
I have pushed my kids on swings hearing them shout "higher Mommy!" and I remember as a child making the same demands. To swing high enough to touch the leaf of a tree, tag a branch or even reach the clouds. It's an awesome feeling to swing at night too, especially if the sky is dark and the stars bright.
I guess I imagine myself flying but what I enjoy most about swinging now is that child like feeling of freedom, excitement and the possibility of actually reaching the stars.
So if you ever see me swinging....shake your head and walk on by with all your thoughts of growing up or come and swing with me...
Yes....I still make snow angels too! (and sometimes with the kids);)

7 comments:

Katie said...

I love to swing too!!!! I'd be right next to you pumping my legs as hard as I can to see if I could get higher than you!!! Oh the days when life was simple, and the only thing you had to worry about was who can I play with today! Not sure if I miss those days all the time, but right now a good swing would be nice. Missing you alot today. Wish I could have a pastor moment with you at Starbucks.

Unknown said...

oh, I'd love to have a pastor moment too with you at Starbucks :( Miss you a lot too. It was harder than I thought to come back ...we're ready to move closer to you :)
looblu

Unknown said...

LOVE new design!!!

Unknown said...

hey, I just switched to a new blogger beta, isn't it that one you said we're all supposed to move to soon? it saved all my stuff, and it was quick. I don't know much about it, but my blog looks the same...

WalksInTheWoods said...

Your words capture a moment of freedom and shared memories ,you take a common moment and place it like a jewler places a fine stone in a great setting ...it is a work of art ...

A really "girly" work of art,...but then....

Caryn said...

I have many fond memories of late night chats on swings. Star Lake 2005. Could also go for one of those put your head back and look up at the stars moments to clear my head. Feeling the wind through my hair. Though I think I've had my fill of pastor moments in starbucks for this week, I could go for friend moments on swings. Did something pretty stupid last night, I'm thinking I'm going to Brookdale Park after band tonight to forget my troubles on the swings - good idea.

Love the new sight. Love you too.

Mhairi said...

Swings!

It's so freeing. To be on the playground at SLC, just far enough back from the road to see what's happening at camp after dark, but not to be seen, at least not by man.

Swinging on your own is one of my favourite things to do; you feel foolish and yet no one can see you, so you giggle and scream and feel empowered by the fact that you can and so you do. No one to mock, no one to tease, no one to tsk or tut. Free to swing, back and forth, higher and stronger; freedom in the air as it brushes your face and messes your hair; who cares? No one sees!
Argh, to be near the water, and the tree and the wildlife; it doesn't get much better than that.