Friday, December 02, 2005

Artificial intelligence

I heard that back before the written word, intelligence was measured by someone’s ability to remember facts and tell a story. These people were considered wise. After the written word, those who knew how to read and write were more impressive. They were considered intelligent. The more you read, the more you studied= the more intelligent.
I think we all know people who have always done well in school. They are the straight “A” students, who never had to work hard for a good grade. They have parents who worry they are not being challenged enough in school, even after taking all honor classes. I knew a girl like this. She was so intelligent and loved to share her knowledge with everyone. Trivial pursuit was like checkers to her and she waited to triple jump anyone who dare to challenge. Yet one day I was driving her home from a Friendly’s restaurant, we were in a 15 passenger van. I asked her to hold the two milkshakes while I drove. As we talked and talked we finally arrived home and I looked at her and asked her “Where are our milkshakes??” She said calmly, “ Oh, I didn’t want to hold them so I put them on the floor of the van.” So, as you may have guessed I look down to see both large cups lying on the floor of the van and sticky chocolate milkshake spread from the front of the van to the back! I could not comprehend how she could be so ……well, stupid. I mean, someone so smart and yet so dumb.
Intelligence can come in many different packages. Book smarts, common sense, social skills, computer knowledge, people skills, life experience and Biblical knowledge, to name only a few. I know someone who no one can match when it comes to Movies. Is this intelligence? Well, when we talk about movies…he makes me feel stupid. Is that how we measure intelligence?? By how stupid one can make us feel?
What has inspired this train of thought??? Feeling stupid/dumb has inspired this train of thought. Blogs, reading other peoples ideas, their thoughts….looking through their list of books they are currently reading. Big words…subjects way over my head. I can’t even spell…
But, in saying all this, although I may at times feel stupid…..I know that there are area’s where I may have some knowledge, some glimmer of intelligence!
I like verses in Scripture like 1 Corinthians 2:27 “ But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.”
Or Psalm 19:7 “The Law of the Lord is perfect reviving the soul. The statues of the Lord are trustworthy making wise the simple.”
I may never win a game of trivial pursuit or be able to hold my own in conversations about the many nuances of film. I may never write an intelligent blog or comment free of spelling mistakes…..but I can rest in the hope of wisdom that comes from God. It was good enough for Solomon! (1 Kings 4:29-34) God gave Solomon wisdom and great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore.”
Beth Moore’s prayer that I have recently adopted: “ Make me smarter than I am Lord! For your purposed and your Glory.” As long as I am asking for reasons more noble than wanting to have a better blog than Drew!

I’ll end with a quote that I found on my Aunt’s Xanga site :

"There are some days I practice positive thinking. The other days I'm not even positive I am thinking". ~Dr. John M. Eades

** Please note that any grammatical mistakes or errors in this blog are meant to support the point of this Blog!

4 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

"you are probably much wiser than you realize."- Thanks Mr. College professor! I was looking more for people who felt the same way as I do...not probable validation. You said it yourself..Mhairi invented the I-pod! Gene makes many of us moronic in more than just movie trivia...he is very clever. If you are going to continue to comment on my page and Mhairi's page.....you better get a page of your own...we have some comments to share too!

Jim said...

Thanks for the link. Have you read those? They look like exactly what I am looking for.

BrownEyedGirl said...

Dave- does Howard have a book on this subject??..I desire to learn more.

Jim- I haven't read them but ran across them right after I read your blog. I am reading Mean girls by Hayley Dimarco. It explains why some girls are mean.The two older ones are in middle school and we have already had some encounters in the public school system with mean girls..even in elementary. Nothing to harsh...just mean.
It all takes me back to my school days...I am hoping to learn some better skills for them.

BrownEyedGirl said...

Thanks.