Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Jesus calms the storm

Rembrandt- "Jesus cams the storm"


When the waves are crashing
When the sea is angry
When my boat is tossed about

I call on Jesus -My prince of peace
I call on Jesus -Who was and is
I call on Jesus

He stills the waves they crash no more
He calms the seas brings me to shore
My boat is safe - I fear no more

I called on Jesus- Prince of peace
I called on Jesus- who was and is
I called on Jesus

But in his eyes- I see a look..
That questions why I yelled and shook
“Why is your faith so small?”

The storm without and around
That beats against your boat
Can never steal the peace within
Why did you scream and doubt?

How did he sleep, right through the storm?
Why was he not afraid?
He rested in the Father’s will
He knew the peace he gave

Be still- I’m here
Be still –I’m near
Be still and know
I’m God

I’ll get you to the other side
No need to still the waves
Just rest my child, find peace in me
I’ll get you through each day.

Call on Jesus- your Prince of peace
Call on Jesus- who was and is
Call on Jesus – he’ll calm your storm within.


cjb
That evening, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let's cross to the other side.” Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus along in a boat just as he was. Other boats were with him. A violent windstorm came up. The waves were breaking into the boat so that it was quickly filling up. But he was sleeping on a cushion in the back of the boat. So they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, don't you care that we're going to die?” Then he got up, ordered the wind to stop, and said to the sea, “Be still, absolutely still!” The wind stopped blowing, and the sea became very calm. He asked them, “Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith yet?” They were overcome with fear and asked each other, “Who is this man? Even the wind and the sea obey him!”
Mark 4:35-41 (GW)

4 comments:

jeff said...

sometimes i think that there is so much more that took place between Jesus and his disciples that isn't written. Because why would he question their faith about calming the storm? They would never have suspected he would do that if they hadn't seen miracles of that nature before that would they? I love the poem and i never saw that Rembrandt before

Lynn Mills said...

I stumbled across this as i was searching for Jesus calms the storm stuff for a children's chapel service i am doing on sunday at the church i work for. Did you write this song or is it someone's? if someone's who? if yours, is there music? may i use it for a prelude or something?Lynn

BrownEyedGirl said...

Lynn,
I wrote this and no one has written music to it. It's just a poem at this point. If you would like to use it you may....just include my name- Carole J. Bate as the author.
Blessings in your ministry.

Leigh said...

CJB,

I am preparing a devotional booklet for our church congregation and one of the passages is on Jesus calming the storm. Would you mind if I use your poem in or booklet?

LAH