Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Battle Cry


I stand before the throne of God interceding. God is high and lifted up on his throne. I am on the right and there is one who opposes on the left. I face the Lord making my request known to him. As I speak with the Lord, the one who opposes my every word becomes louder and louder. I turn and face him. He is angry, yelling at me but when I look at him his words are sharpened with a mocking tone. I see those standing behind him jeering and cheering him on. In this moment of discouragement I turn my head to look at the throne of God and I see the Lord tilting his head with a smile as if to say “look behind you”. I looked behind me and there standing with me was a great multitude of people. An ocean of people as far as the eye can see. Some of them look right at me and I knew them. They were those who had gone before me. My grandparents, great-grandparents on both sides of my family and my husband’s ancestors as well. I also saw ancestors of soldiers and officers in the Army. Most were people who I had never met before but who had invested in the Kingdom of God; people who had been faithful. They were standing there cheering me on and claiming with me God’s promise to be faithful to the generations of those who have loved him and obeyed His Word. I knew they respresented our heritage standing before the throne of grace warring for us, warring with us.

Suddenly, standing there looking at this great cloud of witnesses, a wave of encouragement and strength in the spirit overwhelmed me. At that moment I turned to look my accuser in the eye. As I turned my eyes locked with my mocker and I saw the fear in his eyes. Those behind him fled before I even opened my mouth and when I spoke, I directed my words right at him.
However, they were not so much words….
What does one say in a moment like that?
One screams! One shouts! A battle cry!
Picture it like the scene of the last battle in the movie Braveheart. The shout of William Wallace echoed by all who stood with him….. the battle cry! Each time they shouted, they became louder and more in unison. They were ready to fight to the death. This is the position I now took before my accuser standing with the great cloud of witnesses before the throne of God. Our shouts of victory, our battles cries of past and present bled into one voice.

In that moment, the mocker, the accuser, the one who opposes was reminded of the truth that is ours…….We have already won! The Battle is the Lords! The victory is ours! There are more for us than against us and those who oppose God will be broken. Truth like that has a way of making the enemy slither away. His only hope is to keep us ignorant of this reality, to keep us discouraged and fearful of him. Once we know the truth, once he sees in our eyes that we KNOW the TRUTH….what else can he do but flee?

Do you believe it?
Sound the battle cry!
There is victory in Jesus!
We have already won.

Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

No comments: